Re: kFreeBSD future

Em 2014-09-30 17:35, Steven Chamberlain escreveu:
On 30/09/14 20:03, brunomaximom@openmailbox.org wrote:
I see http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTgwMTE and I
am concerned with kFreeBSD too.

Ah, I wondered when they would pick up the story!

You should probably read the release team mails and log of the IRC
meeting.  I think we already fixed every bug mentioned in that meeting,
in the 10.1 packages; we just wait for d-i Beta 2 to happen before they
can go into sid/jessie, and then I'll reply back.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2014/09/msg00422.html
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/09/msg00002.html
http://meetbot.debian.net/debian-release/2014/debian-release.2014-09-14-18.58.html

The remaining concern would be having enough people involved.  I'm
certainly not the only active developer; Christoph has been testing and doing all the uploads since DebConf, this month Petr fixed a glibc issue
for us, Axel updated the manpages package, Sylvestre Ledru helped port
clang-3.4 to build our kernels, Jeff Epler's patch for partman finally
made it into d-i, several people have sent installation reports, and
today I saw someone new contribute a patch for a package that was FTBFS
on kfreebsd.  I haven't heard from Robert in some time, so I had to
learn how to do the 10.1 userland packaging myself, but that's done now,
and if he comes back he can of course help us a lot with whatever needs
to be done during freeze.

well, that's my concern. Debian is very loyal to GNU, and FreeBSD is more and more dropping gcc and probably in near future all the GNU binutils components in FreeBSD will be dropped for another, considering Debian packages are increasingly building with clang. Are you sure the best idea is keeping gcc as default compiler for kFreeBSD considering clang already is the defalut for original FreeBSD? And the init system? Why not the original rc? Because we could use the FreeBSD documentation to configure services. Or maybe OpenRC?