kFreeBSD port in Jessie

Hi,

The results of the final architecture qualification will soon be published.
In there is reference to a number of concerns about the kFreeBSD port and
its place in Jessie.

We want to recognise that you have put in a lot of work recently, and even
some personal expense, to keep the kFreeBSD port viable. However, we're
greatly concerned that there remain only one, maybe two active porters in
recent months and our criteria for Jessie states unambiguously that 5 is an
absolute minimum.

The rationale for this is that being part of a stable release involves, as
you already know, at least three years committment to maintaining stable
and oldstable, on top of continuing development in sid. It has implications
for DSA, the security team, the release team and others.

The problem with lack of manpower is borne out in reports such as #756464,
which has been open at critical severity since July and was last updated
getting on for a month ago. There's a stated aim to remove the kernel
version 9 from Jessie, which hasn't happened yet. Some RC bugs are fixed in
experimental but those fixes haven't been uploaded to sid.

We've decided to evaluate the status of kFreeBSD on a yes/no basis shortly
after the freeze begins properly. That gives about six weeks in which to
get the port into a good state. We do appreciate that hard work has gone
into the port recently, and suggest that an increase in the number of
porters available might alleviate our concerns about the port's viability.
If there are porters working in the background, and not very visible on
mailing lists and bug reports, now would be a good time to highlight that.

Meanwhile, please take this mail as a courtesy in advance of publication of
the architecture qualification, and we encourage you to keep in touch about
your status and plans over the next few weeks.

Thanks,

For the release team:
--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51