Re: Release sprint results - team changes, auto-rm and arch status

On 2013-11-30 11:46, Robert Millan wrote:
> On 28/11/2013 21:49, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
>> On 28/11/13 20:04, Niels Thykier wrote:
>>> kFreeBSD was a technology preview, and has not generated enough
>>> user interest to bring in sufficient install base to continue
>>> in this state.
>>>
>>> We will review this situation after 28th January 2014.
>>> Architectures still causing us concern at that point will join
>>> ia64 in no longer being considered for britney migrations and
>>> may be dropped from testing after a further period.
>>
>> I'm unclear on what this means, or what should happen by that
>> date to ensure it is considered sufficient to continue in 'this
>> state' (meaning, a release architecture and considered for
>> Britney migration?).

Hi,

Sorry for the very late reply to this mail.

> Uhm I think we both may have misunderstood. Perhaps 'this state'
> just means 'as technology preview'. I.e. normal QA requirements are
> no longer waived because of preview status.

This is exactly what we meant; we intend to not do technology previews
for Jessie.

> If that is the case, I think the kFreeBSD port is perfectly capable
> of meeting these requirements. The system is quite robust already,
> in fact I've used it in production environments several times
> (including infrastructure for a major corporation which will remain
> unnamed), with very satisfactory results.

We have heard reports of issues with GNOME that are allegedly going on
answered or/and are not resolved.  These are issues reported to
debian-bsd@l.d.o by the GNOME maintainers - the examples I got include
[1] and [2].

Disclaimer: I have not had the time to read all examples I got or read
the full threads of these examples.  Nor did I get these directly from
the GNOME maintainers; these are examples provided by members of the
release team during the sprint[3].

It would probably be good if you (i.e. the BSD porters) could start a
dialogue with the GNOME maintainers and figure out exactly where GNOME
is on kFreeBSD (vs. where it is supposed to be).  Once that is sorted
out, please send the release team a summary of the status so we have
accurate information here.

~Niels

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-bsd/2013/10/msg00144.html

[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-bsd/2013/10/msg00145.html

[3] I cannot rule out that they got the examples from the GNOME
maintainers.