Re: radeonkms kernel module are not loaded automatically

On 00:49, Robert Millan wrote:
> On 05/12/2013 00:08, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> > I reverted to unpatched libdrm2/2.4.49-2, and so on boot when lightdm
> > started, Xorg detects no modesetting and it falls back automatically to
> > the vesa driver.  (Seemed quite fast and usable, actually).
>
> Why vesa?

The radeonkms kernel module was not (auto)loaded.  I'd patched the
Xorg radeon driver to use radeonkms.  It checks the new sysctl to see
if modesetting is available.  If not, the driver's probe returns false
and Xorg tries other drivers, choosing vesa.

Maybe that means users without the non-free microcode or with
unsupported cards, lose functionality (I'll need to do more testing
to find out the extent of this).  But at least it falls back to vesa,
something that works.

> > This is exactly the kind of fallback we want.  It would be ideal though
> > if the radeonkms module could be auto-loaded (and its prerequisite drm2)
> > just as Xorg is starting up.
>
> So when using the upstream kernel, you'd want radeonkms to be auto-loaded
> rather than radeon. But if we change this, it'll affect users of the Debian
> kernel too.

Maybe, it depends how much is really lost/gained.  We can probably
wait and see what upstream decide to do.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org