Re: radeonkms kernel module are not loaded automatically

On 19:53, Robert Millan wrote:
> On 04/12/2013 10:49, Robert Millan wrote:
> > Most likely has to do with -DWITHOUT_SOURCELESS option in debian/rules,
> > which removes the non-free firmware.

It wouldn't work at all without the microcode.  I'd copied it already
into the appropriate /lib/modules/*/ dir.  Curiously the Debian kernels
can find the firmware there, but can't automatically load the drm2.ko
dependency from there.

The slowness went away when I compiled without debugging options.

> If you can do that second test, please could you use this patch instead? I
> just changed style to upstream preference.
>
> If this works, I can merge it into 10.0. Please let me know :-)

Yes this works fine too, thanks!

I reverted to unpatched libdrm2/2.4.49-2, and so on boot when lightdm
started, Xorg detects no modesetting and it falls back automatically to
the vesa driver.  (Seemed quite fast and usable, actually).

If I quit Xorg and manually kldload drm2 and radeonkms, the displays
go blank, but I can (blindly) restart Xorg, it detects KMS, and uses
the radeonkms driver giving accelerated graphics.

This is exactly the kind of fallback we want.  It would be ideal though
if the radeonkms module could be auto-loaded (and its prerequisite drm2)
just as Xorg is starting up.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org