Re: howto boot+preseed kfreebsd in qemu

Hi,

On 09/02/13 14:53, Holger Levsen wrote:
> nice. though I'd actually prefer to boot the mini.iso unmodified and
> still get pre-seeding, is that somehow possible?

You'd need to get past the GRUB menu firstly;  it's configured never to
time out.  Can Jenkins send keystrokes?  (e.g. cursor down, enter)

You would still need to specify the preseed.cfg somehow.  It's possible
to do that from the keyboard in GRUB's 'e' editor.  Or maybe from the
'c' command line.  I'd expect it to be quite fragile though.

Another alternative might be through custom DHCP options, if that's even
implemented, but you would need to modify the boot parameters, to
trigger automatic DHCP during d-i startup.

It's also possible to change GRUB input/output to 'serial', and be able
to control it from qemu's stdio or ncurses console.  But again, only
with a modified grub.cfg

>> It can be adapted easily to boot a mini.iso instead, but then it is
>> harder to tweak the grub.cfg.
>
> can you show me how to do this? :-)

Well, I've managed it before by patching debian-installer.git's
build/boot/kfreebsd/grub-kfreebsd-cdrom.cfg file and rebuilding, but
maybe that's cheating?  Otherwise some kind of loop mount and patching
grub.cfg in the ISO.  (With the same changes as my previous patch).

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org