Re: Network not recognised during install.

Hi,

thanks for documenting this, but:

On 28.08.2012 15:45, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> (You can use "apt-get source kfreebsd-9" to get a recent kernel, instead
> of the wget command line suggested there).

As I outlined in that bug, this primarily affects network interface
cards. Thus, neither apt-get source nor Robert's kernel downloader are a
helpful workaround. We're facing a hen/egg problem here, people
affecting by this problem can't rebuild a kernel on the affected system,
as they can't access sources to rebuild it.

I understand that nobody is currently interested to write a firmware
loader, but couldn't we provide a non-free kfreebsd-9 kernel and
possibly non-free firmware images using that kernel.

We would probably need another source package to comply with the DFSG
for main, but the overhead is fairly small. Alternatively we could try
to ship firmware modules only in a separate non-free package. In any
case we'd need someone who volunteers to work on that (and much luck to
get this into Wheezy).

--
with kind regards,
Arno Töll