Upstream kernel support

Hi,

Firstly I notice that 9.1-RC1 is tagged in upstream SVN and probably
being built right now.  The release was originally due for August but
now looks more like it could be September/October:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/schedule.html

The 9.0 kernel was meant to receive upstream security support only until
the end of January 2013.  It seems likely we would want to release 9.1
through t-p-u, for the first point release after wheezy.  9.1 could then
be expected to get extended security support of two years from its
release, which is plenty.

http://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup

Unblock request #683739 wasn't accepted yet but if 9.1 gets into the
first point release instead that should help with the haxe situation for
jessie.

I also notice that 8.1 became end-of-life at the end of July, so the
recent security fix could be the last.  Version 8.2 in squeeze-backports
also became end-of-life at the same time.  So I'm not sure where that
leaves current squeeze users.

I wonder if a squeeze backport of 8.3 is viable (it would also need
newer zfstools, at least), just in case some awkward problem befalls 8.1
in the next ~15 months.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org