Re: Upstream kernel support

2012/8/13 Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org>:
> The 9.0 kernel was meant to receive upstream security support only until
> the end of January 2013.  It seems likely we would want to release 9.1
> through t-p-u, for the first point release after wheezy.  9.1 could then
> be expected to get extended security support of two years from its
> release, which is plenty.

It's harder than it looks. It wouldn't surprise me if this forced
upgrade of userland part of the stack too, like transition to 9.0 did.

> I also notice that 8.1 became end-of-life at the end of July, so the
> recent security fix could be the last.  Version 8.2 in squeeze-backports
> also became end-of-life at the same time.  So I'm not sure where that
> leaves current squeeze users.

I wouldn't worry about this, it's probably just a matter of
backporting a few patches. And in the rare event that an issue
specific to old version arises, I think we have the expertise to fix
it.

> I wonder if a squeeze backport of 8.3 is viable (it would also need
> newer zfstools, at least), just in case some awkward problem befalls 8.1
> in the next ~15 months.

A while ago I looked into that, too. But it's a lot of work. The
kernel<->user interfaces are far less stable than they are on Linux.