Re: Conciliating systemd and GNU/kFreeBSD

2011/7/20 Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>:
> <important>
> > Several people have already explained that it should be possible to
> > write a script, working for most packages, to generate old-style init
> > scripts from systemd service files, allowing for a compatibility
> > wrapper on top of insserv for kfreebsd (until systemd is ported or a
> > compatible init is written for it).
> </important>
> Tollef also mentioned that on IRC, and I fail to see any better option
> right now. Some mentioned there could be security risks involved, in
> case one package relies on this or that feature on systemd's side, but I
> guess we could also live with a few special cases where init.d scripts
> could be maintained manually (rather than autogenerated from systemd
> service files).

Has someone investigated how portable is systemd?  By looking at the
thread, I just see the author enumerating a long list of interfaces,
some of which are Linux-specific and some aren't, and it isn't clear
if core functionality depends on them or just optional features.

Also, are old-style init scripts the best option for wrapping up
systemd scripts? How similar is the interface provided by insserv?  Is
it possible that other init systems are easier to adapt to systemd
scripts?