Re: Please test zfsutils 9.0~svn226163-1

On 12.10.2011 15:34, Robert Millan wrote:
> I remembered that ZFS v28 support was also merged in 8-STABLE upstream branch.

Are you sure? I can't get v28 to work on my kfreebsd 8-2 kernel with my
zfsutils-9 package (thus by using a ZFS v28 capable user land)?

[root@k[root@kfreebsd:~arno]# dmesg| grep "ZFS"
ZFS filesystem version 4
ZFS storage pool version 15
freebsd:~arno]# uname -a
GNU/kFreeBSD kfreebsd 8.2-1-amd64 #0 Sat Feb 19 23:10:25 CET 2011 x86_64
amd64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8300  @ 2.40GHz GNU/kFreeBSD
[root@kfreebsd:~arno]# zpool upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 28.

The following pools are out of date, and can be upgraded.  After being
upgraded, these pools will no longer be accessible by older software
versions.

VER  POOL
- ---  ------------
14   kfreebsd-ad0s1

Use 'zpool upgrade -v' for a list of available versions and their associated
features.
[root@kfreebsd:~arno]# zpool upgrade -a
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 28.

cannot upgrade 'kfreebsd-ad0s1': invalid argument for this pool operation

On the other hand this works just fine if I'm trying this on kfreebsd-9
(very same system, just the newer kernel):

[root@kfreebsd:/home/arno]# uname -a
GNU/kFreeBSD kfreebsd 9.0-0-amd64 #0 Sat Oct  8 13:58:05 EDT 2011 x86_64
amd64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8300  @ 2.40GHz GNU/kFreeBSD
[root@kfreebsd:/home/arno]# dmesg| grep "ZFS"

ZFS NOTICE: Prefetch is disabled by default if less than 4GB of RAM is
present;
ZFS filesystem version 5
ZFS storage pool version 28
[root@kfreebsd:/home/arno]# zpool upgrade

This system is currently running ZFS pool version 28.

The following pools are out of date, and can be upgraded.  After being
upgraded, these pools will no longer be accessible by older software
versions.

VER  POOL
- ---  ------------
14   kfreebsd-ad0s1

Use 'zpool upgrade -v' for a list of available versions and their associated
features.
[root@kfreebsd:/home/arno]# zpool upgrade -a

This system is currently running ZFS pool version 28.

Successfully upgraded 'kfreebsd-ad0s1'

If you boot from pool 'kfreebsd-ad0s1', don't forget to update the boot
code.
Assuming you use GNU GRUB and da0 is your boot disk
the following command will do it:

        grub-install /dev/da0

> Maybe it would be better to upgrade zfsutils to 8-STABLE first?  Based
> on kernel-side experience I guess most of your work also applies
> there.  My guess is also that 8-STABLE zfsutils with v28 support would
> work fine with a 9.x kernel since ZFS version is the same.
>
> What do you think?

For unstable that would probably make sense. For Wheezy, in preparation
of stable, I am not sure if it would be worth the effort. Wheezy will
most likely have a kfreebsd-9 kernel or am I wrong here?
However, I am not maintaining zfsutils and I don't intend to do, since
I'm lacking knowledge here (but I'm glad to help/experiment a bit) -
hence that's up to you after all.

Also please note, the zfsutils from the 9 branch (e.g. my package) seem
to work just fine with the current Squeeze/Wheezy 8.2 environment. Minus
the ZFS < 15 features of course.
Possibly the 9 utils generally work fine with the older kernel, although
I didn't extensively test.

Regarding the package I spent some more work (but I can't prepare a new
package right now, as my notebook has died where I was developing that
stuff).

* I made some ugly patches slightly less ugly

* I dropped the libmd stuff and added a dependency against Guillem's
libmd package instead. It builds and links fine against the resulting
binary package being built from the source package in the repository.
However, this blocks any possible upload to experimental of zfsutils
(not that I could anyway :)) for the time being, as the dependency isn't
available there.

Maybe I am missing something, but the only problem seems to be its BSD
4-clause license, which is not compatible to the GPL. But that shouldn't
be a blocker for us, is it? Couldn't we upload libmd nonetheless, at
least to experimental?

* I experimented to link libraries I consider private, statically into
zfsutils (despite of policy §4.13), or install them into a private
location instead. At least the latter wasn't too successful.

To reproduce the ABI issue, just try to upgrade zfsutils from Squeeze
explicitly to the Wheezy version without doing a full (dist-)upgrade. If
I don't forget, I will file a bug later, since that's a critical problem
I suppose.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll