Re: LVM support

Hi

On Thursday 13 October 2011, Zac Slade wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.L-H@gmx.de> wrote:
> > My first attempts (/ on lvm2, using MSDOS partition tables, no separate
> > /boot/) have not been successful yet (when trying to write the
> > bootsector), but I may not have left enough space for the embedding
> > area or confused it by the way I booted into the system on lvm2. I will
> > continue testing this (and hopefully the libparted patches) on the
> > weekend, when I'm back to a virtualization capable system.
>
> Strangely enough I'm seeing this too with Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 amd64
> netinst image.  It's failing to install grub-pc to /target/ after
> selecting Guided, use whole disk and setup lvm with separate /home
> partition.

On linux, I'm using this setup with grub2 sucessfully since lenny; only
post squeeze grub2 stage1 doesn't always fit into the embedding area
anymore (I've mostly switched to GPT and a dedicated BIOS boot
partition wherever possible).

> I wouldn't post this here, but it appears it may be a common bug and
> that kFreeBSD isn't the only one affected here.  I've not tried on
> real hardware, but i'm getting the error on VirtualBox 4.0.12.

So far I'm testing using kvm (before applying this to real hardware) -
and with multiple disk images for transferring an installed VM to a
lvm2 logical volume accessed by geom_linux_lvm. I'm not quite confident
yet if my own disk(image) juggling isn't responsible for my current
problems and will have to dig a little further, but unfortunately I'm
constrained to my netbook until the weekend.

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann