Re: Please test zfsutils 9.0~svn226163-1

Hello,

On 10.10.2011 07:06, Robert Millan wrote:
> Hi Arno,
>
> Nice work.  Would be nice if you could put this on SVN untill it can
> be uploaded to experimental.

You are maintaining zfsutils. If you want, I can certainly do this :)

> What would be a good layout for 8.x/9.x branches?  Maybe put 9.x
> version in trunk/ and move 8.x version to branches/freebsd-8/?  What
> do you think?

I like the branching idea. However I am fine with every alternative
proposal as well. Just let me know what you all like most.

>>> * We could get rid of the last delta in 01_glibc_kludge.diff and the
>>> whole (hacky and ugly) 16-wrap-cdefs.diff if kfreebsd-kernel-headers
>>> would export cdefs.h like it does upstream [2].
>>
>> Could you fix this in kfreebsd-kernel-headers instead?
>>

> <sys/cdefs.h> comes from eglibc, it is same on all platforms.
> On the other hand, libbsd-dev provides it in "overlay" (bsd/sys/cdefs.h),
> may be it can be extended. Limitation is that it is libbsd-dev, not libfreebsd-dev.

For my stuff, I only need _POSIX_C_SOURCE/__XSI_VISIBLE defined
somewhere. As you can see in <sys/limits.h> certain definitions depend
on it.
Can I include features.h directly and define _GNU_SOURCE alternatively?

> This wouldn't be accepted in Debian archive.  There's an RFP for this
> library, but it needs some cleanup in debian/copyright before it can
> be uploaded IIRC.

Note we do this already for some libraries embedded in zfsutils, for
example libavl [1] (not to be confused with the libavl which already
exists in Debian and is not API compatible).

> Maybe you can help Guillem with this?

Guillem, what's the status here? As far as I can see it's a licensing issue.

> If they don't use SONAME, upstream considers this a bug (we've hit
> this before e.g. libgeom).  The solution is to bump sonames where
> needed (in upstream).

Right now those library packages are simply broken in Debian. They only
work, as long as you don't try to update zfsutils.

>> Maybe we should link them statically instead:
> That should be a last ressort option.

What about private libraries bundled in the zfsutils package?

[1]
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/glibc-bsd/trunk/zfsutils/debian/patches/05_makefile.diff?view=markup

- --
with kind regards,