Re: LVM support

Hi

On Thursday 13 October 2011, Robert Millan wrote:
> 2011/10/2 Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.L-H@gmx.de>:
> > [ Unrelated to this, I have been playing with the idea of doing a
> >  kFreeBSD-amd64/ unstable installation on real hardware, to allow me
> >  some further wpasupplicant (or lirc) testing, but all of my systems
> >  use lvm2 on top of MSDOS or GPT partition tables spanning the whole
> >  drive (/ on lvm2, no dedicated /boot/). This configuration is
> >  apparently not supported by Debian/ kFreeBSD yet, e.g. d-i/ partman
> >  doesn't offer to use the volume group or existing logical volumes
> >  therein and grub2 can't find the root device, if copied manually.
> >  While I have tested to move kFreeBSD manually to a prepared ufs2
> >  filesystem on top of a LVM2 logical volume, which works fine after
> >  adapting fstab and setting
> >        kfreebsd_module_elf /lib/modules/8.2-1-amd64/geom_linux_lvm.ko
> >  in grub.cfg of an external grub2 install (either on a regular
> >  partition or linux / on lvm2) in kvm, I didn't try to move such
> >  an install to real hardware, yet. ]
>
> This patch should fix your grub.cfg problem, could you test?

My first attempts (/ on lvm2, using MSDOS partition tables, no separate
/boot/) have not been successful yet (when trying to write the
bootsector), but I may not have left enough space for the embedding
area or confused it by the way I booted into the system on lvm2. I will
continue testing this (and hopefully the libparted patches) on the
weekend, when I'm back to a virtualization capable system.

Thanks
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann