Xfce as default on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD?

I notice that Debian GNU/Hurd recently switched to Xfce as default desktop [1].

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to do the same on Debian
GNU/kFreeBSD, given the sadly increasing tendency in GNOME towards
unportability [2].

In contrast, Xfce developers seem to care about portability and are
vocal about it [3].  They can't fix every problem in the
HAL/*Kit/u*/DBUS mess but at least they'll try to avoid them.  For
example, I trust that Xfce terminal won't suddenly break due to latest
redesign-and-rewrite-from-scratch of a few new daemons.

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/debian-installer.git;a=commit;h=1cdaa8f1ebfe5510fcb300acf591cfe7781d9cac
[2] The latest instance of this is gnome-terminal became unusable
after a migration to GDBus (see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=631968#54). GDM is
also in a very sad state.
[3] http://gezeiten.org/post/2011/01/Xfce-4.8-on-BSD-flavors