Re: console-setup for FreeBSD

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Anton Zinoviev wrote:

3. I suppose UTF-8 is not supported?

I think it wasn't ready for squeeze, but got fixed in the meanwhile,
or will be soon.

I was unable to find any examples or other documentation about how to
use UTF-8 on the console of FreeBSD so for now console-setup will
support only 8-bit encodings.

sys/conf/NOTES has:
# Enable experimental features of the syscons terminal emulator (teken).
options 	TEKEN_CONS25		# cons25-style terminal emulation
options 	TEKEN_UTF8		# UTF-8 output handling

So you must compile a custom kernel (unless Debian patches this? I don't have a kfreebsd-8 source tree handy, and only spot-checked the patches).

It seems that the "experimental" warning is probably still true, as there has not been much activity in the tree since:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-November/021084.html
I rebuilt my 9.0-current (r215031) with option TEKEN_UTF8 in kernel
config, and after configure my syscons to use cp850-* fonts i can
see UTF-8 chars properly \o/

(vidcontrol(1) is used to set the syscons font.)

I see no real traffic on FreeBSD lists regarding console UTF-8 support since then; presumably more testing and reports would be useful.

-Ben Kaduk