Re: console-setup for FreeBSD

Hi,

Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> (09/03/2011):
> [Please send CC to me if you reply.]

done.

> I hope the next version of console-setup will have some preliminary
> support for FreeBSD kernel.  But I have some questions.

\o/

> 1. How can I detect in a shell script what kernel is in use (Linux
> or FreeBSD).  This code should work both in normal Debian
> installation and in the environment of Debian installer.

uname might be sufficient in this case? Just checked in my squeeze d-i
images, available on both linux and kfreebsd.

> 2. Is it dangerous to configure the console while X is running?

I'm not sure what could happen. Do you have anything specific in mind?

> Is it possible to detect reliably whether a script executes on the
> console or in X Window?  For Linux I've used a code like this:
>
> case `readlink /proc/self/fd/2` in
>     /dev/tty[0-9]*|/dev/vc/[0-9]*|/dev/console)
>         ;;
>     *)
>         echo We are not on the Linux console, the console is left unconfigured.
>         exit 0
>         ;;
> esac

(I think I've mentioned it can't work on GNU/kFreeBSD, there's no fd/
directory in the linprocfs compatiblity layer.)

> 3. I suppose UTF-8 is not supported?

I think it wasn't ready for squeeze, but got fixed in the meanwhile,
or will be soon.

But.