Re: console-setup for FreeBSD

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 02:36:14PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

> > 2. Is it dangerous to configure the console while X is running?
>
> I'm not sure what could happen. Do you have anything specific in mind?

I haven't done recent tests but I think the commands setfont and
consolechars could easily crash X.  I am not sure about loadkeys. So by
analogy I suppose vidcontrol is able to crash X too.

> > 3. I suppose UTF-8 is not supported?
>
> I think it wasn't ready for squeeze, but got fixed in the meanwhile,
> or will be soon.

I was unable to find any examples or other documentation about how to
use UTF-8 on the console of FreeBSD so for now console-setup will
support only 8-bit encodings.

Anton Zinoviev