Re: Announcing Hotplug

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 14:37 +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> 2011/2/10 Gavin Atkinson <gavin@freebsd.org>:
> > It depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve.
> >
> > You can use devd(8) to load a kernel module when a new device appears on
> > the USB bus, or  as an example see the entry in /etc/devd.conf for the
> > Entrega Serial DB25 adapter, which will load a kernel module (if not
> > already loaded) and then upload the firmware to the device.
>
> That's interesting. Does it support PCI?
>
> The actual effort in hotplug is not in the code, but in
> inspecting kFreeBSD source and determining the
> driver / id correlation.  Perhaps we could convert hotplug's
> pci-id file to devd.conf format and use devd for the
> same purpose?

I don't believe there will be any problem with doing that from the
devd(8) side - it basically just parses device attach/detach etc.
messages coming from the kernel.  However, as the kernel doesn't support
Hotplug PCI at the moment, you won't actually get to know about PCI
devices appearing, because they won't appear :)

Gavin