Re: Announcing Hotplug

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 18:55 +0000, Michael Dorrington wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
> >> Interesting. Is there anything similar that is already in use on
> >> FreeBSD?
> >
> > No idea.  If there is, I'd like to know.
>
> There isn't a daemon offering this functionality in FreeBSD, AFAIU. I
> asked Gavin about it at the Manchester BSP.

It depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve.

You can use devd(8) to load a kernel module when a new device appears on
the USB bus, or  as an example see the entry in /etc/devd.conf for the
Entrega Serial DB25 adapter, which will load a kernel module (if not
already loaded) and then upload the firmware to the device.

However, there is nothing more generic available in the base system, for
example to say "scan my machine, and either load any missing drivers, or
tell me which drivers aren't loaded but could be".

Thanks,

Gavin