Re: Releasability of the kFreeBSD ports

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 02:38:42AM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> Dear kFreeBSD porters, dear kFreeBSD users,

Hi,

> the Release Team is currently wondering if it makes sense to release with
> kFreeBSD as a regular stable architecture with squeeze.  It might be that
> it is not yet up to the standards of a regular Debian release as it might
> not contain everything that's expected by users.
>
> So, what do you think is still missing?  What would we need to communicate
> as a disclaimer to the users if releasing kFreeBSD in this state?

>From the server point of view, I think we reached something close to
other debian-ports, with even some added features like ZFS. On the other
hand I have to agree that on the desktop point of view, there are still
problems, which may break the expectations users have from a stable
release. The desktop is usable though.

> If it's not entirely up to our standards, would a separate suite, like it
> has been done in the past for sarge-amd64 and etch-m68k, help having some
> sort of release that can be updated independently from the main stable
> release?  Such a suite could also be useful to land larger changes than
> normally allowed for stable.
>
> Or do you think we should skip this release?  (But keep it in testing, of
> course.)

Doing a release, a "technology preview" or something that offer a
consistent port with security updates to the users will definitely help
the port by attracting more users and possible developers. I am open to
any form of "release".

Cheers,
Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73