Re: First version of the slides for the FOSDEM Debian GNU/kFreeBSD talk are up

On 02-05 10:33, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Hey,
>
> someone from FreeBSD. Great! :-)
>
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 08:52:34AM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> >> hte first version of the slides for my Debian GNU/kFreeBSD at FOSDEM
> >> are online. would be happy to read some comments before Sunday noon:
> >>
> >> http://noone.org/talks/kfreebsd/kfreebsd-fosdem.html
> >>
> >> (press "t" to toggle slide view)
> >
> > Slide 6:	for the first item while reading I was wondering
> > 	"Which on is the cleaner one?"
>
> Hehe. Hopefully clarified these two slides a lot.
>
> > 	Features you don't get with Linux - Dtrace? though I am not
> > 	sure you'd get it with G/kF yet?
>
> Never heard of it. Aurelien, KiBi, Petr?

dtrace is pretty good stuff. It originates from OpenSolaris just like ZFS.
It is a freamwork (and scripting language)
for tracing and performance mesurments of whole system with small overhead.

dtrace is also avaible in Mac OS X, and FreeBSD.

ZFS and dtrace are two most interesting parts of the cool stuff taken
from Solaris and merged into FreeBSD. Not only interesting,
but also usefull and very good in design and implementation.

It currently looks similar that it is probably just a matter of
packaging dtrace utils and it's libs, and maybe small minor tweaks in
libc/ld.so, to make tracing of other libs easier.

(there are similar projects for Linux, but similary like btrfs-ZFS
war, they are still not mature as dtrace).

In 7.2 and 8.0 kernel config i see that KDTRACE_HOOKS is commented out.
Also ZFS is not there.

It is really important to have all this things differencing from Linux
in kFreeBSD: ZFS, dtrace, pf, clean architecture.

Another important part (which can bring people) is Xen domU support.
I'm actually trying to write scripts to make it simple to
use (install) kfreebsd as Xen domU under Linux Lenny / Squezee dom0.

PS. Nice presentation. S5 is next of my favorite presentation systems (after beamer :D )

--
Witold Baryluk
JID: witold.baryluk // jabster.pl