Re: gnome install dependency update-binfmts (Linux Only)

Petr Salinger wrote:
apt-get install --no-install-recommends xorg gnome

Then when the gnome log on window expects input of user name the keyboard characters don't show in the window. I thought that maybe echo was off but, there was no response when I continued to enter the user name. I could not get any response nor get to a terminal to hunt for a cause.

Does xorg alone works for you ?
What is content of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?
Do you have hal installed and running ?

Without hal, you might need to specify in your xorg.conf,
using something like:

Section "ServerLayout"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        Option          "AutoAddDevices"  "off"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us,cz"
        Option          "XkbVariant"     ",qwerty"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "grp:shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/ums0"
#       Option          "Device"                "/dev/psm0"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

hal is installed but not running. In FreeBSD it is started via /etc/rc.conf with
enable_hal="YES"
but it is also started whenever gdm is started by
enable_gdm="YES"
also in /etc/rc.conf

There is no rc.conf file.

How and where should hal be started in kFreeBSD?