IPC problems on kFreeBSD: daemons and init.d scripts

for now this is the last thread I want to start about (probably) IPC
problems on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD:

A number of daemons which provide services I regard as essential on a
normal server fail to start on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. And at least the
following fail to start completely silently. If you don't check with
ps or try to use their services, you won't notice.

+ ISC ntpd (package ntp)
+ openntpd
+ gidentd

And with the packages ntp and openntpd being the sole NTP daemon
packages in Debian there's no working NTP daemon available for Debian

Another daemon which is more or less unusable on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
is ISC BIND named. The init.d script just hangs forever if you issue

  /etc/init.d/bind9 stop

You have to kill the named process manually.

All those problems are not present on Debian GNU/Linux and I know from
at least ISC BIND named and ISC NTP daemon that they work fine on FreeBSD.

		Regards, Axel
Axel Beckert - abe@deuxchevaux.org, abe@noone.org - http://noone.org/abe/