IPC problems on kFreeBSD: daemons and init.d scripts

Hi,

for now this is the last thread I want to start about (probably) IPC
problems on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD:

A number of daemons which provide services I regard as essential on a
normal server fail to start on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. And at least the
following fail to start completely silently. If you don't check with
ps or try to use their services, you won't notice.

+ ISC ntpd (package ntp)
+ openntpd
+ gidentd

And with the packages ntp and openntpd being the sole NTP daemon
packages in Debian there's no working NTP daemon available for Debian
GNU/kFreeBSD.

Another daemon which is more or less unusable on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
is ISC BIND named. The init.d script just hangs forever if you issue

  /etc/init.d/bind9 stop

You have to kill the named process manually.

All those problems are not present on Debian GNU/Linux and I know from
at least ISC BIND named and ISC NTP daemon that they work fine on FreeBSD.

		Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - abe@deuxchevaux.org, abe@noone.org - http://noone.org/abe/