Re: Re: installing gnome [FIXED]

Hi,

Yes, fortunately I have some experience with FreeBSD and I had already
selected the iwi module when installing... but I am missing some
tools, like iwicontrol

Also, I don't have any idea where to copy the firmware, so that iwi finds it

iwi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
       inet6 fe80::216:6fff:fea4:62d7%iwi0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7
       inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
       ether 0:16:6f:a4:62:d7
       media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
       status: no carrier
       ssid "" channel 1
       authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 100 protmode CTS

The radio transitter is on

# sysctl dev.iwi.0.radio
dev.iwi.0.radio: 1

I have put the firmware in /lib/firmware, because this is the way I'd
do it with debian (linux)

I have also noticed that installing gnome-utils yields a problem

E: gnome-utils: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

and iceweasel (nice to have that one in the repository!) is behaving a
bit odd... also, when I change the spacework and go from 1 to, say, 2,
the graphics is freezing for ~1-2 seconds

Ok, I know this is an alpha, but I just wanted to report...

So, my main question is: where to put the firmware, so that iwi finds
it (I don't have man iwi) and how to connect to a wep access point

Cheers,

Pau Amaro Seoane

2006/12/30, Petr Salinger <Petr.Salinger@seznam.cz>:
Hi.

> Now I wonder how to configure my wlan... in linux I would install
> ipw2200 and download the intel firmare (it's a centrino) per hand...
>
> Or should I go the freeBSD way? I mean iwi?

You can try "insmod if_iwi", as there is /lib/modules/6.1-1-686/if_iwi.ko

> Another important point... how to figure out which modules can I need?
> And for the ethernet card I just chose _all_ to be sure I have
> connection... but I guess this is not the elegant way...

For ethernet card you can try to deselect all as many ethernet cards are
builtin. Or check name(s) of current interface(s) by "ifconfig -a"
and leave only appropriate if_xxx.

> Is ACPI supported?

ls -l /lib/modules/6.1-1-686/*acpi*

Happy New Year to all.