Re: Network trouble

Hi,

I never got the network working at all,
when I tried to install debian/bsd.

'it is pretty annoying when you want to try out a
new OS', when you realize that it doesn't
automatically configure the network.

With the debian GNU/linux I never had
such a problem.

What should I do to get the network working?

I'm using an adsl  connection with
a network card and an adsl modem.

I just yesterday told that when trying to make
an istallation cd to try the latest version,
I couldn't boot  the cd at all...

- hvirtane

Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne@compaqnet.be>
wrote:
Petr, Martin,

> Hello, I've just installed debian/bsd and managed to get the network
> going after editing /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/init.d/networking
> restart.
> However, after an apt-get update/upgrade and reboot I can not get the
> network working again. If I for example ping a remote ftp-server I get
> the resonse:
> ping: sendto: No route to host

> I connect to the internet through a router and DSL-modem.

> Please try to verify whether you have ifconfig and route binaries,
> which package they are come from.
> dpkg -S /sbin/ifconfig
> dpkg -S /sbin/route
> They used to be in freebsd-hackedutils, but now route should be in net-tools, ifconfig should move soon.

> You can also try to downgrade freebsd-hackedutils to some older version.
> Hopefully you will find some in /var/cache/apt/archives/

I just had the same problem.

I got things back up by extracting /sbin/ifconfig, /sbin/route and
/sbin/route.real from the old "hackedutils" deb-file and then do a
"apt-get install net-tools"

One thing I do have to say it is pretty annoying that if you do "apt-get
update/upgrade" it does not install the net-tools package. I don't know
exctaly how the "apt-get" system works, but losing your network
connectivity completely is pretty annoying when you want to try out a
new OS.
:-)

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

Petr