Re: Network trouble

Hannu,

Hannu Virtanen schreef:
> I never got the network working at all,
> when I tried to install debian/bsd.
Well, I'm pretty new to debian myself so I did it the "hard" way and
configured it by hand. I guess debian has some nice tools for this
(perhaps dpkg-config ???) but it was easier for me to change it by hand.

-> 1/ First, find out the name of your ethernet-interface by doing a
"ipconfig -a".

In my case, it is fxp0

-> 2/ The rest of the configuration is done in a couple of files:
/etc/networking/interfaces

For DHCP, do this

auto fxp0
iface fxp0 inet dhcp

When using static IP-addresses, do this

auto fxp0
iface fxp0 inet static
   address 192.168.0.4
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   gateway 192.168.0.1

-> 3/ Set up the dns-servers (I guess this is not necessairy if you use
DHCP)

modify /etc/resolv.conf, to make it look like this:
nameserver <ip-address-of-DNS-server-1>
nameserver <ip-address-of-DNS-server-2>
(...)

In my case, I use the IP-address of my VDSL-router as it acts like
DNS-relay.

-> 4/ Restart your network.
/etc/init.d/network restart

(or reboot the box :-))

In my case, I also changed the hostname (in /etc/hostname) and added the
names of the other machines on my LAN in /etc/hosts.

> 'it is pretty annoying when you want to try out a
> new OS', when you realize that it doesn't
> automatically configure the network.
I did notice that -if you use a network-based sceme during the
instalation (e.g. FTP, HTTP or NFS) instead of CDrom- the network
configuration you entered then will get copied automatically to your new
system.

> With the debian GNU/linux I never had
> such a problem.
Well, that's the fun of trying new OSses. If everything runs OK from the
first time, it's not much fun, is it? :-)

> What should I do to get the network working?
> I'm using an adsl  connection with
> a network card and an adsl modem.
See above.

But again, I guess debian probably has a nice text-based application for
this. If somebody knows how it's named, do please let me know.

> - hvirtane
Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.