Re: installation kernel version

> I tried the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD installer, however it uses an older
> kernel (5.x series) which does not support the onboard RAID on my PC.
> Are there any plans to create a new installer that uses the 6.0 kernel?

If your spare PC is recent one, you can also try amd64 port,
its installer already have FreeBSD 6.0 kernel.

> Can the stock kFreeBSD kernel be upgraded after the installation process?

Yes, there are following packages:

kfreebsd-image-6-486 - kernel of FreeBSD 6 image
kfreebsd-image-6-586 - kernel of FreeBSD 6 image
kfreebsd-image-6-586-smp - kernel of FreeBSD 6 image
kfreebsd-image-6-686 - kernel of FreeBSD 6 image
kfreebsd-image-6-686-smp - kernel of FreeBSD 6 image

Just apt-get install one of them.

Petr