Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 09:53:38AM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:

> In any case, I hope I did indicate that I have less experience than many
> list posters with threads (although I hope to gain at least a bit more
> when I take an operating systems course at my uni as soon as next fall).
> If anything I said in the previous paragraph is rubbish, I'm quite
> willing to believe it.

For those without the benefit of a University course, I would suggest picking
up one of the oldest classical texts on OS design principles and practice,
though I suggest reading it with a critical eye:

Operating Systems Design and Implementation, Second Edition
Tannebaum, A. S. & Woodhull, A. S.
(Prentice Hall, 1997)

Yes, this is the Tannebaum that Linus was arguing with on comp.os.minix,
that brought about the creation of Linux. The book contains the entire
source code for the Minix operating system, and a great deal of discussion
on the whys and wherefores of the pieces, with references to the source.
While primarily focused on message-passing kernel architectures, of course,
it does provide a very strong background in all the fundamental pieces of a
Unix-like operating system.

It is, of course, far from the only option. :)
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/KLNetBSD(i386) porter                                     : :' :