Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

Nathan Hawkins <utsl@quic.net> writes:
>> You would be much better off just specifying what was missing from the
>> native libc so that it could be added -- that, at least, is a
>> tractable problem.
>
> I think in some viewpoints (certainly not mine), the problem may be that
> it's not glibc. But that's just my impression.

If one wants Linux, there is Linux, and one doesn't need to do any
work. If one wants to marry the advantages of NetBSD with the Debian
tools, then getting rid of the interesting things about NetBSD won't
achieve the desired result. glibc has never struck me as especially
stunningly nifty, but I suppose others have their own tastes.

> In any case, it's obviously far saner to try to port libpthreads from
> the NetBSD libc to glibc than to port NPTL from Linux.

I'd say it would be impossible to make the new Linux threads work on
NetBSD in a reasonable amount of time. That said, the NetBSD threads
stuff has pervasive hooks throughout libc....

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com