Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 02:40:05PM +0200, Momchil Velikov wrote:

> Jimmy> I can't find the exact messages for some of these examples of their
> Jimmy> experience, but one post mentioned that the poster had implemented
> Jimmy> applications using hundreds or thousands of threads;
>
>   How can this be considered anything else than an evidence of mental
> illness ? (I purposedly avoid attributing it to malice).
>
> Or was this simply a pointless "benchmark" ?

What I meant by mentioning it was that this poster actually seemed to
have a legitimately useful (to him) application that legitimately needed
lots of threads, and getting it to work well on his development or test
system must have required a fair amount of familiarity with threads
and/or his OS's implementation of threads. I believe the poster was
offering it to Robert as a way to test his eventual port of a threads
library to glibc-on-BSD to see if it performs well and is thread-safe
for thread-intensive applications such as his. (To give you an idea of
this poster's standards, he stated that he considered all versions of
Linux prior to the existence of NPTL not to be thread-safe for his
purposes.)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org