Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:07:51PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> ObListPolicy: I'm not subscribed to debian-bsd, please Cc: me in all
> replies that you think may concern me.

You should consider setting your Mail-Followup-To, if you can; it will
make it easier for folks to comply with the request.

> On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 21:58, Joel Baker wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 07:49:43PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > >
> > > There might be some changes required to autotools-dev and libtool to
> > > support this platform, depending how they currently decide what makes
> > > -netbsd-gnu.
> >
> > Present in autotools-dev as of 20021130-1 (2002-11-30 CVS grab). I believe
> > the libtool patches have been accepted, at least by the Debian package, for
> > some time, but I'd have to go back and double-check whether the changes
> > were only in my patched copy, the Debian official version, or upstream at
> > this point.
> >
> The only patches that've recently (within the last year) been applied to
> libtool have been to support knetbsd-gnu, in fact they removed any
> support for netbsd-gnu which would get treated under netbsd* now.
>
> So provided netbsd-gnu works the same as pure netbsd, there shouldn't be
> a problem, but if it works differently there'll need to be some changes.

I'll have to check. My recollection was that the changes were very minor,
if there were any at all, and that libtool was one of the first things
patched.

It's high on my list of things to deal with, after getting the -current
kernel situation squared away (waiting on the hardware to be freed up,
which is looking to hopefully happen around Christmas).

> > They work for the port - the thing they might *not* work for, which I'd
> > have to review and probably cross-check with Robert, is whether they won't
> > accidentally start thinking that KNetBSD systems are KLNetBSD (or whatever
> > it ends up being, augh).
> >
> This'd be a config.guess thing (in autotools-dev) which would decide
> whether a system is *-netbsd-gnu (your work) or *-knetbsd*-gnu (Robert's
> work).

Yup.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/KLNetBSD(i386) porter                                     : :' :