Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

ObListPolicy: I'm not subscribed to debian-bsd, please Cc: me in all
replies that you think may concern me.

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 23:39, Joel Baker wrote:

> For the porting effort formerly known as "Debian GNU/NetBSD" or "Debian
> GNU NetBSD/i386", the following four identifiers will be used:
>
> 1) 'uname -s' will be 'NetBSD' (this is unchanged).
>
> 2) 'uname -v' will have the name 'Debian' in it at an appropriate place,
>    so that it is possible to determine a full set of system information
>    solely from uname. (This is somewhat flexible due to possible changes
>    in the NetBSD implementation of the concept of 'vendor').
>
> 3) The GNU config triple will have '-netbsd-gnu' as it's third part.
>    (This is unchanged - and don't blame me for a 4-part triplet. I didn't
>    start it, merely maintained consistancy with -linux-gnu).
>
> 4) The Debian port name will become 'Debian GNU/KLNetBSD(i386)'[1].
>
> -----
>
> [1] i386 target, Kernel+Libc of NetBSD, GNU userland, Debian distribution
>
> I'm not entirely certain what else, if anything, is required to make these
> changes (except updating the web pages, which will obviously have to wait
> until the normal method of doing so has been restored), since the origional
> decision on the port name was relatively informal.

There might be some changes required to autotools-dev and libtool to
support this platform, depending how they currently decide what makes
-netbsd-gnu.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?