Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 07:31:09PM -0500, Perry E.Metzger wrote:

> >> On the FreeBSD port, it uses linuxthreads. It isn't going to be good
> >> enough long term.
> >>
> >> The NetBSD port of glibc will probably do the same, at least initially.
> >> I'm not sure if it's that far along yet, though.
> >
> > *shudder*
> >
> > For the record, one of the major reasons for updating the netbsd kernel
> > sources to -current is to pull in the threading support that will be
> > released with 2.0 (some packages simply *will not* build with GNU pth as
> > pthreads).
>
> Although it is still not as stable as we'd like, the benchmarks of the
> native threads on NetBSD are pretty damn impressive. I'd say that not
> using the native threads would be a tremendous waste...

For my part, I'm of the opinion that threads support based on the native
thread libraries is the way to go. I say based on, because it's unlikely
that the native threads libraries will work with glibc without at least
some porting. However, I do believe it would certainly be better to go
that route than to use the linuxthreads port.

In FreeBSD's case, the native thread support is very much under
development right now. FreeBSD 5.x has three native thread libraries,
not counting the port of linuxthreads, which also runs with the native
libc.

IMHO, the glibc port to FreeBSD is really only about half done. And it
was the easy half. There are still issues, and thread support is one
of them. Either someone will work on them, or not. If not, I can always
restart the native libc port...

	---Nathan