Re: *BSD and GNU/*BSD nomenclature (was: Re: X Strike Force SVN commit: rev 183 - in branches/4.3.0/sid/debian: . patches)

Joel Baker dijo [Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 10:08:42AM -0600]:
> (...)
> That's the situation with the NetBSD port as it stands. I'm happy to
> discuss whether it should be "Debian GNU/NetBSD/i386" or simply "Debian
> NetBSD/i386", but if we're going to dredge this up again, I'm going to have
> to insist on someone providing actual citations, rather than assertions
> (well, okay, RMS or FSF folks could assert it, since that's what the
> citations would be to...)

I think in this case labeling our NetBSD port as GNU/NetBSD would not
only be out of respect for RMS's wishes - it can help clarify what
exactly are we doing. Calling it just 'Debian NetBSD' will bring us lots
of people asking us what difference does it have from 'just NetBSD'.
Calling it 'Debian GNU/NetBSD' will, IMHO, tell at least part of them
what is this about.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366