Re: Dependancy info for libc12

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 06:05:50PM +1100, matthew green wrote:

>    Need someone with more familiarity with NetBSD's intricacies to assist on
>    this one. Currently, lintian is throwing a spew of a single error (one per
>    library, in both libc12 and libc12-dbg), based on the fact that NetBSD,
>    unlike Linux, does not have every library dependant on libc (and, in Linux,
>    libc depends on ld-linux, even - which is statically compiled).
>
>    Checking with ldd and objdump, it appears that the libraries really, truly
>    don't have a NEEDED section pointing to libc, and are, in fact, not linked
>    against it in anything ELF.
>
>    Is this because NetBSD libraries truly don't depend on libc in any fashion
>    whatsoever (and, as such, I can tell lintian to shut the hell up about it),
>    or because they should be doing -lc and aren't?
>

> what is lintian?  what is the error?

Lintian (and linda) are package-checking tools. The equivalent of 'lint'
for Debian packages, they catch errors and such *before* you upload and
waste everyone's time and bandwidth. :)

> netbsd libraries probably SHOULD have "NEEDED" sections but they
> do not currently.  this is largely due to history, but there are
> arguments (i'm not joining this argument tho - i don't care) that
> doing so breaks static linking.  "huh?" you say.  the deal is
> that you _must_ list every required library when linking statically
> so therefore it follows, to keep development environments sane
> (ie, the same as possible), one should do this with dynamic
> binaries.
>
> lets pick a random netbsd non-libc library:
>
> 	splode ~> nm /usr/lib/libcurses.so | grep printf
> 		 U asprintf
> 		 U fprintf
> 		 U vfprintf
>

> which definately shows that it _is_ dependant on something
> providing those symbols, which are from normally libc.

Okay. So it's a matter of historical FUBARism - which means I should, at
the very least, have a FIXME to find some way to fix it, and not turn
off the warnings.

NetBSD arguments aside, this information *should* be used on Debian, simply
because it becomes very important when trying to maintain the metadata
about what packages depend on what libraries, properly...

Suggestions on how to properly figure out which libraries things must link
against (especially involving libraries which may or may not be present,
such as libi386 and libm387 - especially the latter) would be appreciated.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/