Re: Autoconf build targets

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 07:06:47PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> In porting stuff, I've found several cases where modifying the source to
> build on Debian potentially breaks it on plain NetBSD. After talking to
> Nathan about this, we came up with a couple of ideas:
>
> 1) Modify the kernel build so uname -v includes "Debian" - this is a
> pretty trivial change. It does present problems if people build kernels on
> their own - one option would be to make sure that the kernel build system
> ensures that this is set.
>
> 2) config.guess currently produces i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.5. Under Linux,
> this is i386-pc-linux-gnu. Adding i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.5-gnu (or
> possibly even just i386-unknown-netbsd-gnu), determined by the different
> uname output, would allow for Debian-specific alterations to be made which
> could be included upstream without breaking anything else.
>
> Does anyone have any comments?
>
> (Oh, and kudos to the NetBSD guys for producing a kernel which seems happy
> to build with gcc 3.04 :) )

3) i386-unknown-netbsd-debian

(We might be Debian GNU/Linux or Debian GNU/xBSD, but that doesn't make
'gnu' our primary distinguishing string). The problem, really, is that
there isn't any clear definition of how to arrange things such that there
is an 'OS vendor' field, at least nothing that's generally agreed upon.

Unless I missed something, in which case I would dearly love to be shown
wrong (since it would give us the canonically proper answer to this sort
of question :)