Re: Multiple topics

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:36:14PM +1000, matthew green wrote:

>    1) FreeBSD 5.0 pre-release... does anyone know if it's GCC 3.x clean? If
>    so, I might futz with trying to do up a chroot based on that, at some point
>    here... unless someone else desperately wants to do it or something.
>
>    2) pmake (aka /usr/src/usr.bin/make) - the source tree for this on the
>    various BSD flavors differ significantly, but all appear to share some
>    basic level of functionality. How similar are they? I'm looking at taking
>    over the pmake package, and wondering whether stealing just one would
>    suffice, or whether I need to do pmake-netbsd, pmake-freebsd, pmake-openbsd
>    (heck, maybe pmake-bsd44 for the origional BSD 4.4 version?) and allow
>    folks to use /etc/alternatives to select what 'pmake' actually calls.
>

> there's already a "merged" (within reason) autoconfiscated version
> of pmake maintained by simon gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>.  hmm, it
> used to be on ftp.quick.com.au but that domain has disappeared...
> ok, look at:
>
> 	http://www.crufty.net/help/sjg/bmake.html
>
> for details.  it's going to have more-netbsd changes than freebsd
> or openbsd but i know simon has also worked at getting them as close
> as possible (there are some inconsistency extensions, :U and :L
> mean different things as variable modifiers, etc..)

As far as I can tell from various comments (which MAY be wrong), NetBSD's
pmake is, in fact, now bmake. But then, it doesn't actually have any sort
of autoconf in it, so maybe it's not...

I definitely could try to see if bmake will work as a package separate from
pmake, but until I can find a useable source from something recent (what
DID happen to quick.com.au, it appears utterly gone?) - well, I can't.

Things like :U and :L are the main reason I was considering having it done
as separate packages providing alternatives.