Re: dupload to archive

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 04:13:22PM +0000, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> "Joel Baker" <lucifer@lightbearer.com> writes:
>

> > On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 06:41:52PM +0000, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> > > Any chance of an indices directory (preferably containing md5sums.gz)
> > > and an ls-lR.gz, please? That way I can mirror this properly.
> >
> > Probably not, honestly - or at the very least, not until debarchiver does
> > them by default, since that's what I have available to use.
>
> You should be able to hack up a script to generate those files pretty
> trivially. they both do what they say on the tin :)

Probably - but debarchiver doesn't have hooks for calling other scripts when
it's done, either. I suppose I could try to hack something into the cronfile
itself. Just... ugly. And I have no idea what the 'indices' directory is...
or which directories get the ls-lR.gz (presumably you don't bother to repeat
it...)

> > and SCP does not, AFAIK, allow for limiting an account to file-copies and
> > disallowing shell access reliably (so I can't make an anonymous-upload
> > account).
>
> You want sftp. It does all the things you require, I think[1]

Uhm. Except the 'supported by dupload' criteria, which I guess is only a
convenience - but if I were going to hack on dupload, I'd probably just set
up an area where folks could upload via HTTP, which is far better supported.

> > I can't honestly imagine that the load is heavy enough that mirroring it
> > would be a terribly useful excercise in the first place, but that's neither
> > here nor there. I suppose you could try apt-move...
>
> I want a local mirror for my own convenience (and for the other geeks
> on this VPN).

Granted. I don't object to mirrors in principle, just... I'd like some help
in the practical setup for this, since I'm not the main beneficiary.

> [1]OK, so as ssh maintainer I may be biased :)

Hey, secure is great. The problem with FTP isn't that it isn't secure,
though - I mean, all of the info is stuff that's re-published. The problem
is that I run a strict firewall, and FTP is from The Land Before Firewalls.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/