Re: Would people be interested in help with a a build system

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:01:56PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
> I saw Richard Tibbetts trying to debug apt-get last night.  Based on
> what he said it seemed like apt-get was failing to parse
> /var/lib/dpkg/status; finding a \n where it expected something else.
> It segfaulted going off the end of a string at a page boundary.  Thus
> it's just really good luck we cought the segfault instead of it simply
> randomly failing.
>
> The package being parsed was base-files.

I seem to have been outted.

At any rate: Yes, I was working on the apt-get segfault. I don't have
much in the way of progress to report. It would help greatly if I
could get a look at the source which the apt-get I am using was built
from. If I can't get that, I am going to have to redo the work to port
apt.

Mattew: Is it possible to do some kind of source upload, no matter how
unclean? In fact, if you do an unclean "package" (ie, tar up
everything in sight and put it someplace) then I am willing to go
through and sort it out into patches.

tibbetts