Re: Would people be interested in help with a a build system

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:09:46PM -0500, Richard Tibbetts wrote:

> At any rate: Yes, I was working on the apt-get segfault. I don't have
> much in the way of progress to report. It would help greatly if I
> could get a look at the source which the apt-get I am using was built
> from. If I can't get that, I am going to have to redo the work to port
> apt.

The source for apt is at http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mjg59/debian-netbsd/apt
- I believe that the only changes I made to it were some patches from the
fink project to get it to believe that the system was
Debian. http://fink.sourceforge.net/bindist/dists/fink-0.3.2a/main/finkinfo/base/apt-0.5.4-1.patch
has them - it was the stuff in deb/ that needed patching. I may also have
needed to tell it to treat NetBSD like OpenBSD.

Compiling it within the chroot now seems to result in it attempting to
build more than it did previously, so I'd guess that it's sufficiently
convinced about the system's Debianness that the fink patches aren't
needed now. It craps out in the ftparchive directory, though the first
error can be fixed by adding a #define _POSIX_C_SOURCE. I hadn't looked
into the subsequent problems yet.

> Mattew: Is it possible to do some kind of source upload, no matter how
> unclean? In fact, if you do an unclean "package" (ie, tar up
> everything in sight and put it someplace) then I am willing to go
> through and sort it out into patches.

The blocking factor on this has been bandwidth. I'll try go get them
tarred up tonight and then set them uploading before I go to bed in the
hope that my housemates won't complain about their inability to do
anything with the network :)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org