Re: Website and library packages

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:38:04PM +1100, matthew green wrote:

>    utilities and libraries NEED to be built together with the kernel. It's a
>    feature in the BSD world. It'd be easer to keep them in sync if they're built
>

> hmm, i wouldn't call it a feature :-)  certainly in NetBSD we've done a
> lot of work to remove these sorts of issues... and the trend is only
> going to continue in the future.  cf, ps(1) and most of the *stat utilties
> now no longer require the same-vintage kernel.  there are still a lot
> remaining, and things like "ipfilter" will never be do-able otherwise,
> given the current way ipfilter is modified :-)

Well, I'd look at it this way:

Building truly kernel-dependant utilities along with the kernel is, indeed,
necessary. Since the current kernel-building stuff for Linux actually makes
something like 4-5 DEB files, there isn't a big deal that I see with having
something like a "kernel-utils" package that also comes from this - BUT!

I would *much* rather have the non-dependant stuff, of which there is a
whole lot, built as separate packages. Wherever the source comes from, I
don't want to have to rebuild a lot of cruft that isn't actually crucially
out of date, just to get a reasonable kernel. If I rebuild my kernel on
Linux, it's something like 30m. If I rebuild the DEBs for all of the basic
utilities that one could imagine might interact witht he kernel (I don't
have access to see what buildworld does on NetBSD right now), it could
easily take hours...
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/