Re: Website and library packages

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:38:04PM +1100, matthew green wrote:

>    utilities and libraries NEED to be built together with the kernel. It's a
>    feature in the BSD world. It'd be easer to keep them in sync if they're built
>

> hmm, i wouldn't call it a feature :-)  certainly in NetBSD we've done a
> lot of work to remove these sorts of issues... and the trend is only
> going to continue in the future.  cf, ps(1) and most of the *stat utilties
> now no longer require the same-vintage kernel.  there are still a lot
> remaining, and things like "ipfilter" will never be do-able otherwise,
> given the current way ipfilter is modified :-)

Sorry, that was meant kind of tongue-in-cheek. There was a lively discussion of
it when I joined the list. (Someone thought that it was a reason why a Debian
BSD was a very bad idea.) I'm glad to hear things are changing for the better.

Yeah, I read about the ipfilter license issues with OpenBSD. Have you guys
thought about porting over OpenBSD's new replacement? It might be less work to
deal with in the long term.

	---Nathan