Re: Website and library packages

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 11:48:59AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:08:00AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > > I've now uploaded the web page to http://debian-bsd.sf.net and am
>
> > Why do you host it at a site which runs non-free software and locks in
> > users? For the people who don't know what's going on at
>
> Does it really matter?

Yes it does.

> Obviously they are providing free services -- and someone has to pay for
> the bandwidth, servers, electricity, administration, etc.

That's no reason to limit other peoples freedom. There is also no
reason why we should use it, there are other places providing those
things for us. We could use the Debian servers or savannah for example.

> > sourceforgetit, I suggest you read:
> > http://www.fsfeurope.org/news/article2001-10-20-01.en.html
>
> It is interesting to note that you mentioned this on a list related to
> BSD. True BSD advocates don't care (for example, their software can be
> used in proprietary, non-open source, commercial applications).

AFAIK This list is also related to Debian. Debian cares about free
software, so do all Debian developers. Using a BSD kernel doesn't mean
that Debian shouldn't care about freedom.

I also don't believe that BSD advocates don't care about freedom. Why
are they saying that the GPL doesn't give enough freedom? Because they
don't care?

> (By the way, I don't understand how SourceForge "locks in users".)

Try to extract a project from sourceforge, you notice that your locked
in. Efforts which made is possible to extract a project were deleted
after sourceforge turned non-free. You can't easily move mailinglists,
all those tracker systems, task manager, etc.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org