Re: assimilating OpenBSD

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 11:07:31AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> But many of the BSD /bin and /sbin binaries are not truly compatible with
> GNU equivalents. So does this mean forcing the Debian packages and Debian
> routines (like dpkg pre-installation scripts) to use the BSD tools
> instead?

Actaully, we have three ways -- use gnu utils as native,
and install them as the base (but in that case I'm not sure that
all other BSD stuff will work as expected), install gnu utils
as a required package and use g* commands in all dpkg scripts,
or hack BSD tools to be compatible with gnu ones.

But I agree that the last way is not an option.
Really, I think we have to make some wrappers around file- and
find-utils that would care about incompatibilites, and call the
needed ones. Yes, that would be slower and kludgy -- but would eliminate the
need of editing the exisiting scripts.
Hmm.. But we would have to edit them anyway..
Actually, this is a problem.
When I've been making debhelper port, I've changed calls of "find" and
"xargs" to "gfind" and "gxargs", but we should really think about it.

--
Regards, Wartan.
echo "Your stdio isn't very std."