Re: Is it _really_ dead?

Brent Fulgham wrote:

> However a BSD kernel with the GNU user-space would probably be
> more palatable.

I'm finally going to pipe up here, from the (mostly) end-user perspective.

I, personally, want the GNU userland. I've used BSD, and GNU (and Sun, and
HP-UX, and Irix, and Ultrix, and ...) - and I want GNU because I find it
far easier from a user-interface perspective, and often from a base
functionality perspective.

I want to be able to use a kernel that has, in my eyes, more stability and
maturity in some specific areas, and for that I'd need something derived
from BSD 4.4.

I have no idea which libc would mesh the two together more sanely. But I
think that the notion of "Debian folks working on openpackages", while
perfectly reasonable, would not be a Debian port (in the sense of "Debian
GNU/BSD"), and thus, this probbly isn't the right place to do it.

I could, of course, be misunderstanding the purpose of the Debian ports
lists. And I certainly have no objection to BSDs getting a reasonable
package format natively. :)

As an aside, there is exactly one reason that I use Debian GNU/Linux, at
the moment. That reason is called "dpkg". I frequently have to maintain
a reasonably large number of computers for other people on minimal/spare
time, and the ability to do package upgrades and rollouts without needing
much, if any, human interaction - and still trust that things won't blow
up - is the single most important feature of Debian, to me. The social
contract is nice; I approve of it. But it wouldn't even be close to enough
to convert me, if some other distribution had dpkg, and Debian didn't.

Just my perspective on things.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://www.lightbearer.com/~lucifer