Orignial message follows.
From: Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>

I don't know where the original poster got this information from,
but I've never *ever* heard anyone talk about using zip for FreeBSD's
packages.  Not speaking for FreeBSD, but from the best of my
knowledge there is aboslutely no plans of changing package formats.
We will have a new install program and possibly a revamped set of
pkg_*(1) utilities, but I've never heard of using zip from anybody.
Free, non-free, or otherwise. :)

-steve