Re: Debian FreeBSD

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 05:03:22PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> This is a very bad idea.
>
> Why?  The BSD license.
>
> We must not help software based on a BSD-licensed kernel no less
> become more prevelant.  The reason is that the BSD license allows
> companies to commercialize the product.  I for one disdain the idea of
> using SPI resources to help things that will become proprietary.
>
> Some might quibble with "will" above.  I think it's only a matter of
> time.  We've seen it hapen so much already.  It serves our Free
> Software community poorly to produce software that is simply
> proprietarized by any company that wishes.

I don't see that problem. If the BSD license was that much of a problem,
the FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD would not exist as maintained projects.
So would XFree86.

Beside, the BSD license is still a acceptable license as far as the DFSG
is concerned and don't forget that what make Debian (dpkg, apt and others)
are still GPL and cannot become proprietary.

The fact that we already "promote" BSD licensed software in one way or
another should be noted. Should we stop "promoting" pieces of Debian that
are BSD licensed?

> If somebody wants to do this, obviously we cannot stop them.  However,
> we have control over whether *WE* support it, and we must not.

I can't stop you from opposing it.