Re: DEP-11 metadata for non-free-firmware?

Hi!

Sorry for the delayed reply, I had some health things to deal with last week.

Am Mo., 23. Jan. 2023 um 17:41 Uhr schrieb Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>:

> Hi again,
>
> Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (2023-01-19):
> > Sorry for the noise. I missed there were several rsync calls on the
> > dak side, and at least dak needs patching…
> >
> >   https://salsa.debian.org/ftp-team/dak/-/merge_requests/267
>
> This was merged and works fine for sid, but for some reason, we're
> missing files for bookworm. Configuration changes from earlier this
> month look good though (/srv/appstream.debian.org):
>
>  - Add the non-free-firmware archive component
>  - Retire buster & stretch, add non-free-firmware processing for dev suites
>
> (in passing, workspace/asgen-config.json lacks armel for sid)
>
> Looking at the logs, the machinery is indeed looking at bookworm/nff,
> except it doesn't find anything new/interesting there, e.g.:
>
>     2023-01-23 14:21:22 - INFO: Skipping bookworm/non-free-firmware [amd64], no interesting new packages since last update.
>
> Shouldn't we have placeholders (with just metadata) anyway? Like we have
> currently for sid/nff, e.g. for amd64[1]:
> [...]

So, long story short: A DEP-11 metadata file is only created if the
archive component that it's built for actually has metadata (any file
in /usr/share/metainfo or /usr/share/applications). If there is no
metadata, no file is created, not even an empty one.
The reason why "sid" has one is because I forced the creation of an
empty file, since having nothing there completely broke tracker.d.o
and we needed a quick fix (and I also thought it was a permanent one).
Looks like I misjudged that and also other parts of our infrastructure
rely on the files' existence.

So, Ideally other tools should be fixed to not break if the file isn't
there, or only break if the file *was* there and vanished (because
that shouldn't happen), or I could make a change on the generator to
always generate a file, even if no input data is present, depending on
what seems like the better way to go.

Cheers,
    Matthias