Re: Would allowing preseed to be a tarball a good idea?

On Feb 18, 2022, at 4:48 AM, Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:

On Feb 16, 2022, at 5:50 PM, Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:

The initrd of d-i can indeed be extended / appended.
And in the "appendix" goes the desired extras. Then

d-i  preseed/early_commands  /myextras/early_script

If I’m not wrong, this requires repackaging the installer media?

Nope, append is append,  not repackaging.

The ideas sounds very interesting, but due to my limited knowledge with regard to initrd, I have no idea what it means to “append” to it. Googling “debian initrd append” or "initrd append” or "initrd appendix” revealed nothing useful AFAICS. I wonder if you could point me to some documents/manuals where I’d have a better chance understanding it?

My current mental model is like this: initrd bundles a temporary fs to facilitate the startup process. You can change the files it contains using a tool like cpio. So shouldn't appending files to it mean changing the initrd file? If initrd file needs to be changed, shouldn’t the installer media also be changed to incorporate the changed initrd file?

Regards,
Glen